YouTurn embraces the ancient African proverb,
“It takes a village to raise a child”.
YouTurn is a significant part of a larger community effort to “break the cycle” of violence.
We seek to give adolescents and young adults an opportunity to embrace change that will have a lasting impact on their lives. YouTurn’s service delivery model includes collaborations with:
- Program Participants – It is our goal to help adolescents and young adults succeed by turning away from violence by embracing change and creating healthy interpersonal relationships with family and friends.
- Schools and Educators – YouTurn staff work with school faculty to offer interventions and support services within the schools for students in individual and group settings.
- Colleges and Universities – Providing internships for students enrolled in criminal justice courses and other related academic programs allow them to gain supervised practical experience which they can apply in their future
- Neighborhood Leaders – YouTurn supports neighborhood associations and leaders by offering community awareness of violent activities as well proven strategies to deter violence, often associated with gangs, among adolescents and young adults.
- Healthcare & Community Organizations – YouTurn partners with medical and behavioral health providers, trauma centers and community organizations to support suppression, intervention and prevention efforts. These partnerships allow YouTurn staff to offer program services “in real time” and at locations that adolescents and young adults feel safe and are familiar with.
- Volunteers – To enhance services and programs, YouTurn welcomes volunteers to support various aspects of its service delivery model. Our volunteer opportunities provide interested citizens with a place to make a positive impact in our community.
- Legislators & Elected Officials – YouTurn provides lawmakers with data that demonstrates the impact of violence in communities. YouTurn shares data from program services utilizing evidence-based strategies that have proven to deter gang activity and violence. Legislators and elected officials are encouraged to advocate for resources needed to create healthy options and alternatives for at-risk adolescents and young adults most often impacted by gangs and violence.
- Local Law Enforcement – YouTurn supports prevention programs and activities sponsored by local law enforcement that address youth most impacted by violence.